Exchange students within Erasmus+ and Eastern European Partnerships
The Studentenwerk (Saarland University Student Services) offers rooms and apartments to rent in its student halls of residence. Applications must be submitted online. We recommend that you apply as soon as possible, as waiting lists for a room in a hall of residence can be long.
If you would prefer to look for a room in the private sector, click on the link above for some useful information and advice about finding private accommodation in and around Saarbrücken.
If you are coming to Saarbrücken as an exchange student, you may apply for a room in a student hall of residence through the International Office. Please note: there is no guarantee for a room. The required application form will be made available to you in due time and all correctly nominated students will be informed about the beginning of the application period by email from the Welcome Center.
The application deadlines are:
- 30 June for the winter semester
- 15 January for the summer semester
- The rooms are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications received after the deadline will not be processed. No applications will be processed and no rooms allocated until after the application deadline.
- Rooms can only be rented for the fixed period stated on the rental agreement; typically for six months, or for seven or eight months if the rental period begins before the start of the academic semester.
- Rooms in student halls of residence can only be rented for one semester (exceptions may be possible, depending on the mobility programme). If you are planning to stay for two or more semesters, we recommend that you to look for a room on the private housing market.
- Please note that we cannot guarantee that you will be offered a room. If the number of applications exceeds the number of rooms available, we will not be able to accommodate every student. If you receive notification that we are unable to offer you a room, you will need to look for suitable accommodation in the private sector housing market.