In case of emergency
Information on Corona Virus (SARS-CoV-2)
Due to the increasing global spread of the coronavirus, the World Health Organization has now declared the outbreak to be a public health emergency of international concern. Saarland University recommends full compliance with the guidelines issued by the German health authorities.
Recommendations from the International Office for international students, exchange students and freemovers
Saarland University has resumed lectures on 04 May. According to current planning, all lectures and seminars will be offered online for the time being. Please check LSF regularly for information about the status of planning and digital offers for the summer semester!
Generally, we recommend that you postpone your stay to the winter semester 2020/21.
If you have questions about your upcoming stay in Saarbrücken, please do not hesitate to contact us at the Welcome Center. We would also urge exchange students to contact your home university to find out what their recommendations are.
Since 02 July, the EU has changed its entry restrictions for some countries. Nationals of some countries outside the EU now have the possibility to enter the country without restrictions, for others it is still the case that entry is only allowed with an urgent reason. Students and staff can obtain a certificate of entry. Information on the entry restrictions
- The university strongly endorses the principles of inclusivity and non-discrimination. If any members of the university suffer any form of coronavirus-related discrimination, please contact the Welcome Center for support.
Rules of Conduct
All incoming students, staff and guests arriving from the Schengen area are now able to do so without observing a 14-day quarantine (as of May 18, 2020).
According to state regulations, however, all travellers entering the country from a country classified as a risk area on the day of entry must still maintain a 14-day quarantine. The Robert Koch Institute publishes the list of risk areas and updates it regularly. Anyone entering from such a country is obliged to report to the health authorities!
- For students, staff and guests in Saarland, the responsible contact person is Ms Szliska: annette.szliska(at)rvsbr.de
The public health department requires an affidavit of your stay and your travel documents (flight ticket etc). Please also read the information for travellers of the Federal Ministry of Health. The health department will then impose the 14-day quarantine.
- Coronavirus Testing is now offered at Frankfurt Airport (since 29.06.2020). Rapid tests (at extra charge) or tests with 6 - 8 hours waiting time can be booked in advance. A negative test can be confirmed with a certificate. This certificate serves as proof that no quarantine is required. The test result is transmitted to you digitally. Until the test result is received, you have to observe a quarantine in your house.
Important: Saar-Uni advises, on the recommendation of the public health department, to carry out a one-week self-isolation even in the case of a negative test at the airport, as infections that occurred shortly before the test was carried out may not have been detected by the test.
- If you return from abroad and do not have an adequate social network to provide you with the basic necessities (etc. for food shopping), you can sign in for our support during quarantine.
- In case of illness: If you have symptoms and think you may be infected with the virus, do not go directly to hospital or to your doctor, but stay at home and call the health authorities: +49 681 501-4422 or +49 116 117
FAQ International Students
Due to cancellation of several students for the summer term, we currently have some apartments available. Please contact the Welcome Center to discuss booking such an apartment.
- All citizens are encouraged to reduce unnecessary contact with other people outside their own household.
- In public, a minimum distance of at least 1.5 m from persons other than those mentioned in point 1 must be maintained wherever possible.
- In all shops and supermarkets, as well as public transport (bus / train), it is mandatory to wear a mask (mouth and nose protection).
First of all, we advise you to read the Studentenwerk's website on the subject of financial aid, as you will find initial information there.
Please also note the information on the Coronavirus emergency support for students.
In cases of emergency, the International Office offers the possibility of obtaining a short-term interest-free loan for international students. Please contact the Welcome Center for more information.
Yes, please find the information on the website of Saarland Informatics Campus
Please contact your home university about this. If they can renominate you for a later academic period (for example winter 2020/2021) it may be possible for you to be reaccepted.
Please contact us at the Welcome Center so that we can support help you find alternative accommodation.
Please prepare your Learning Agreement and send it by email to your subject coordinator.
Please send your arrival/departure confirmation by email to the Welcome Center, we will forward the documents to your coordinator for processing.