Proof of proficiency in German
If you plan to study at Saarland University you will need to show that you have adequate proficiency in German. This does not apply to exchange students or to international students who are spending a study-abroad semester at Saarland University.
If you do not yet have the necessary German language skills to begin studying, you can apply to join a German language course at the International Study Centre Saar. These courses will help you prepare for the DSH language exam (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang – German language proficiency test for foreign applicants seeking admission to higher education). The prerequisite is that you apply and be admitted for the German course (specifying the desired undergraduate study programme).
You can demonstrate your German proficiency by providing one of the following academic or language certificates:
Higher education entrance qualification
- A certificate that entitles the holder to study at a higher education institution in the issuing country, provided that the certificate is in German and was obtained at a German-speaking school. (In this case, the certificate will typically be the German Abitur).
- Formal notification of recognition from the relevant authority attesting that the applicant's foreign higher education entrance qualification is equivalent to a German higher education entrance qualification, provided that such notification does not include any qualifying remark concerning the applicant's German language proficiency.
- A certificate that the applicant has successfully completed the higher education assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) that determines the applicant's suitability for study at a German university.
- A higher education entrance qualification from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg in accordance with Luxembourg law.
Language proficiency certificates
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH-2 or DSH-3)
- Prüfung zum Nachweis deutscher Sprachkenntnisse (PNDS)
- TestDaF with a grade of 'TDN 4' or 'TDN 5' in all parts of the examination
- Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS) or Kleines deutsches Sprachdiplom (KDS) or Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP)
- KMK Deutsches Sprachdiplom Stufe II
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule