Scientific Presentation (workshop for international doctoral candidates)
Scientific Presentation (workshop for international doctoral researchers)
In this workshop, participants will hone their skills in giving scientific presentations in English and taking part in professional discussions following their own talks.
The focus of the workshop will be:
- preparing and presenting one's own talk or presentation,
- taking questions, also difficult ones, in the follow-up discussion, and
- using body language influentially and with success.
Beyond the focus on talks and presentations in an academic setting, this seminar will also serve to assist those speaking outside the fields of science.
This might arise e.g. when giving presentations to tenure committees, attracting funding from third parties, or interviewing for a position at a college or university.
This workshop is offered in English specifically to international doctoral researchers at Saarland University as a collaboration between GradUS and the International Office as part of their joint "GradUS international" programme.
For each PhD student, participation in the GradUS workshops is sponsored with 50 € per semester by the presidium of Saarland University, which are considered when calculating course fees.
- Participation in every workshop is certificated. Towards the end of your PhD, you can also get a GradUS certificate for all GradUS workshops that you took part in.
- Childcare can be provided for doctoral researchers with children for the duration of a particular GradUS event at no charge (see website "Kinderbetreuung").
- Deduction from income taxes: We recommend trying to deduct the fees for the GradUS workshops from the German income taxes that you might have to pay (costs for advanced training measures).
John Kluempers, Ph.D., native English speaker, studies in German Linguistics, Ph.D. in Linguistics at the University of California in Los Angeles (UCLA). He has taught German and English communication at universities in the USA and in Japan for a decade. In addition, Dr. Kluempers has been news and sports broadcaster for Deutsche Welle's English service for eight years. Since 2010, he is head of the division "Scientific Presentation" at textATRIUM (Bonn).