Making your way in the world: Study with us as an international student in Saarbrücken
International Master's degrees at Saarland University
Saarland University is a campus university in the south-west of Germany. With one in five of our students and academic staff coming from abroad, we are one of Germany's most international universities. In the international U-Multirank survey 2022, Saarland University was rated as one of Germany's best ranked universities in terms of international orientation.
Thinking of coming to study in Germany? You'll find ideal conditions here at Saarland University:
- No tuition fees if you enrol in a consecutive Master's programme
- Small group sizes in seminars and lab classes
- Excellent supervision and close interaction with professorial staff
- Quality-assured teaching and learning programmes and accredited degree qualifications
- Option of continuing to study for a doctoral degree in our graduate schools
- A campus university where institutes, labs and libraries are all close at hand
- A semester travel ticket for the local public transport system is included in the €260 semester fee.
Saarbrücken – an attractive place to live with lots to offer:
- Relatively low cost of living (approx. €800 per month)
- Enjoy city life in a rural setting: Saarbrücken is the regional capital with plenty of green spaces to enjoy
- A wide range of leisure and recreational activities: Theatre, opera and cinemas, clubs, art and music festivals, street festivals, surrounding woodland, parks, hiking and biking opportunities, interesting excursions and much more besides
- In the heart of Europe: France and Luxembourg are right next door
- One of the warmest regions of Germany
- A lively and diverse campus: University sports, choirs and orchestra, theatre groups, university cinema and plenty of cafés.
Mathematics, computer science, natural sciences and engineering (STEM subjects)
- Bioinformatics (M.Sc.): English
- Biotechnology (M.Sc.): German, English
- Cybersecurity (M.Sc.): English
- Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (M.Sc.): English
- École Européenne d’Ingénieurs en Génie des Matériaux – double-degree programme in materials science (EEIGM, M.Sc.): German, French
- Embedded Systems (M.Sc.): English
- Entrepreneurial Cybersecurity (M.Eng.): English
- Human and Molecular Biology (international programme) (M.Sc.): German, French
- Computer Science (M.Sc.): English
- Materials Chemistry (M.Sc.): German, English
- Mathematics (M.Sc.): English
- Mathematics and Computer Science (M.Sc.): English
- Media Informatics (M.Sc.): English
- Physics (international programme) (M.Sc.): German and French or English
- Quantum Engineering (M.Sc.): English
- Systems Engineering (M.Sc.): German, English
- Visual Computing (M.Sc.): English
Languages, Culture, Education and Sport
- American Studies / British Studies / English Linguistics (M.A.): English
- Border Studies (M.A.): German, French, English
- Franco-German Studies: Cross-border Communication and Cooperation (M.A.): German, French
- Educational Technology (M.Sc.): English
- High-Performance Sport (M.Sc.): English
- Intercultural Communication (M.A.): German and French, Spanish or Italian
- Language and Communication Technologies (M.Sc.): English
- Language Science and Technology (M.Sc.): English
- Linguistica e didattica dell'italiano nel contesto internazionale (LIDIT, M.A.): German, Italian
- Literary, Cultural and Language History of German-Speaking Regions (M.A.): German, French
- Musicology (international programme) (M.A.): German, French
- Philosophy (M.A.): German, English
- Romance languages and literature (French/Italian/Spanish, M.A.): German and French, Spanish or Italian
- Theoretical Linguistics: Dynamics and Variation (M.A.): German, English
- Translation Science and Technology (M.A.): German, English, French, Italian, Spanish
Looking for a different subject? Then take a look at the complete list of international programmes available at Saarland University.
Listen to those with first-hand experience...
Take a look at this video and listen to students talking about what it's like to be an international student at Saarland University. You'll also get acquainted with our campus and we'll introduce you to some of the important locations and service points for international students.
ISZ Saar (International Study Centre Saar) offers German language courses that are designed to help international applicants prepare for university study. You can also improve your German skills while studying by taking an advanced course or joining a tandem programme.
Pre-study preparations: Finding accommodation, financing your stay, etc.
The Welcome Center is the place to contact when preparing to come to Saarbrücken to study. The Welcome Center team can provide advice on how to finance your studies, on travelling to Saarbrücken or on administrative formalities, such as applying for a temporary residence permit or getting insurance – and they can also help you find suitable accommodation.
Finding your feet
The General Student Committee (AStA) at Saarland University can support and advise international students with study-related issues or any problems that they may be experiencing integrating into their new environment. The Central Student Advisory Service can also assist students with any initial study-related problems and can help them plan and organize their studies.
Recreational activities and making friends
The Centre for International Students (ZiS) helps international students to settle in quickly and to find their way around campus. ZiS organizes excursions, city and campus tours, informal meet-ups, as well as cultural evenings and sports events. The student volunteers in the ZiS buddy programme help incoming international students to settle in to life on campus.
Finding a job
The Federal Employment Agency in Saarland can help you if you're looking for part-time employment opportunities while studying. The Career Center is the place to contact if you need advice or assistance with job applications or with gaining relevant work experience during your degree programme. The Career Center team also offers guidance for international students looking to find employment in Germany.
Additional useful information about starting to study in Saarbrücken:
Brochure for new international students (German and English)