75th Anniversary Year
75 years of outstanding research, a rich portfolio of academic programmes, teaching excellence and a development strategy focused on meeting current and future societal needs – these are the accomplishments that have made us into what we are today.
As a university with a strong European focus, we're proud of our excellent national and international reputation. As an attractive place for research, we're helping to boost and promote Saarland. And as a successful business incubator, we're empowering start-ups to find cutting-edge solutions to the challenges of tomorrow.
There's plenty to look forward to in our anniversary year 2023. In addition to the official ceremonies, there will be two special event weeks, concerts, extensive media reporting and much more besides. A commemorative 75th anniversary book will also be published at the end of 2023.
If you're not already subscribed to the university's monthly e-newsletter (in German), we recommend signing up today so that you stay on top of all the latest university news and events, including updates about the 75th anniversary celebrations. Simply click the button below and once you're on the newsletter page, click on the first checkbox 'Monatlicher Newsletter'.
Programme of events 2023
Our 75th anniversary year – Let's get things moving!
Here at the University Sports Center, we want this anniversary year to be one that gets people active and enjoying exercising. The University Sports app ('Hochschulsport') provides users with a new exercise to try every week.
The goal? We want you to do 75 repetitions of one specific exercise spread out over a week. That's 10 reps a day plus an additional 5 reps on a day when you feel like an extra challenge. And so things don't get stale, there's a new activity every week!
February to April 2023
The 'Letter to the Future' project
Saarland University wants to use its 75th anniversary as an opportunity not only to look back on all that we have achieved, but also to focus on what our future might look like. How will the world look 25 years from now? What are the changes, inventions and accomplishments that we can expect to see? What hopes do we have for society in general and for each of us individually? If you feel inspired by these questions, then we'd like to encourage you to set down your thoughts, hopes and ideas in the form of a letter or a picture and to send your letter to us at the following address by 30 April 2023:
Saarland University, University President's Office, 'Letter to the Future' Project, Postfach 15 11 50, 66041 Saarbrücken.
The letters will be stored unopened in a time capsule and will be opened and published when Saarland University celebrates its centenary anniversary in 2048.
April to May 2023
24. April - 26. May: The exhibition „Women in Mathematics of the SFB-TRR 195“ collects 19 portraits of women mathematicians. They are part of the collaborative research center SFB-TRR 195 „Symbolic Tools in Mathematics and Their Applications“ including RPTU Kaiserslautern-Landau, RWTH Aachen and Saarland University. The exhibition aims at serving as role models for young women scientists entering the field of mathematics or science.
Location: Günter-Hotz lecture hall (foyer, building E2 2)
April to June 2023
Employee Survey 2023 - #HealthyWorking@UdS – I'm in!
What strengthens us? What do we find stressful? What do we need to change?
Saarland University will conduct an online survey of all employees in the period from 25 April 2023 to 5 June 2023 as part of its Occupational Health Management (BGm) programme.
Further Information and survey
April to November 2023
Carmina Burana to be performed in E-Werk: An invitation to all who love singing
As part of Saarland University's 75th anniversary celebrations, Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana' will be performed in the version for two pianos and percussion under Professor Helmut Freitag. The concert is to be held on 22 November in the event space and concert hall 'E-Werk' in Saarbrücken. Anyone interested in singing with the choir is warmly invited to join us.
Individual singers can come along to the regular University Choir rehearsals that are held at 7 p.m. on Mondays in the Recital Room (Building C5 1) on the Saarbrücken campus.
Choirs that are interested in participating in the project are welcome to practice the work on their own and then join the full production rehearsals that will begin in August/September. Experienced choir singers who have already sung the Carmina Burana are also welcome to join us for the full production rehearsals.
If you would like to participate, please contact Prof. Helmut Freitag by email at hefr001(at)uni-saarland.de
08-13 May - Special event week on the Saarbrücken campus with a range of different activities:
- 8-12 May: Transform4Europe Week of our European University Alliance under the devise "Europe in Transformation"
- 8-12 May: Mensa theme week "Saarland recipes from 75 years ago"
- 8-12 May: Outdoor university sports courses in the morning, at noon and in the evening to the program in German
- 8-13 May: Exhibition of the day-care centre photo campaign "Campus with children's eyes" in the Mensa café
- 9-11 May: AStA Anniversary Street Food on Campus with music from 11:30 - 5 pm
- 10. Mai:
12h-8 p.m. on the AC-Wiese Live music: Singersongwriter Kai Sonnhalter
4-6 p.m. Anniversary ceremony in the Audimax A bright future built on strong European roots! to the program in German
Registration in German for online participation and to the Audimax, Campus B4 1, possible until 8.5.23
Stream, 4 p.m. to approx. 6 p.m. and live broadcast on the AC-Wiese
- 11.-12. Mai: "Borders in Crisis", 9th Seminar of the UniGR-Center for Border Studies, on-site (Campus D4 1) and online
Keynote 10-12 a.m.: Prof.in Dr. Saskia Sassen
Program and Registration
- 13 May: University Open Day 10-16 h on the Saarbrücken campus more information in German
May to June 2023
May 22 - June 11 - Steps Challenge "Fit in a Team 2023"
Will we succeed in setting a new steps record in our anniversary year?
Let's GO for it together in the steps challenge "Fit in the team", a joint action of the BGm and the university sports center.
more information in German
7 June: "UdS in Dialogue", 6:30 p.m., Festsaal of the St. Johann Town Hall
Five well-known graduates of the university discuss the external image and perception of the Saarland. The motto "More than Lyoner and Saarschleife? How the world looks at Saarland".
more Information in German
16 June: UNSERE UdS will be taking part in the regional company fun run in Saarbrücken – so lace up and join us for a fun summer evening. Start time: 6 p.m., registration deadline: 24 May
Link to registration page and further information
19-25 June Special event week on the Homburg campus with a range of different activities:
- 19 June: Start of 'University Week 2023' on the Homburg campus (7 p.m., lecture theatre complex, Building 35) – a week of events hosted by the Faculty of Medicine, Homburg town council and the VHS adult education institute in Homburg.
- 19-23 June: Europe-themed week at the Mensa
- 20 June: Ethics in the Afternoon (2–5 p.m.): 'Drugs: A balancing act between therapy and addiction – Challenges in medical ethics at Saarland University Medical Center (UKS) and the Faculty of Medicine', Lecture Theatre, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Building 45 (Please note: The language of this event is German).
- 23 June: 75th anniversary ceremony in the Homburg lecture theatre complex (Building 35). Invitation only.
- 23 June: Barbecue stand in front of the lecture theatre complex
- 23 June: Science Open Evening
- 23 June: Piano recital with Jean-Yves Thibaudet - he plays the "Préludes" by Claude Debussy in the main Anatomy lecture theatre
to the Musikfestspiele Saar and tickets
29 June: Opening of the permanent exhibition "BauKunst Mensa" at the Mensa Saarbrücken: 1.15 p.m. Jazz Opening in front of the Mensa with the Big Band "Windmashine" conducted by Cordula Hamacher, from 2 p.m. opening with greetings in the Mensa
3-7 July: Mensa's "University of the Greater Region UniGR" theme week: Each day, a partner university of the Greater Region introduces itself and the Mensa presents the corresponding country in culinary terms.
7 July, 8 p.m.: Science Slam at the Camera Zwo Saarbrücken, moderated by Carrie Ankerstein, admission free, the event will take place in German.
ATTENTION: The event had to be moved and will now take place at Camera Zwo.
20 October: Chemistry Day - The Department of Chemistry at Saarland University will celebrate its 75th anniversary and the reopening of the renovated lecture hall building (C4 3) as part of a "Chemistry Day". We cordially invite you to this special event in Building C4 3.
Flyer for the Chemistry Day 2023 (PDF in German)
Link to the registration page (in German)
25 Octobe, 4-6 p.m., Saarbrücken Campus Building B3 1, lecture theatre I : Opening event of the public lecture series in German "EUROPAS BILDUNG UND WISSEN / Von Platons Akademie zur Universität des Saarlandes".
Opening lecture Prof. Dr. Peter Riemer: Ist alles Wissen relativ? Die Sophisten im klassischen Athen
Lecture series in German of the departments of History and Classical Studies in the winter semester 23/24, Wednesdays, 4-6 p.m. - for further dates please see the program (coming soon)
15 November: 4 p.m., Opening of the exhibition "Women of Mathematics | Imaginary" at the VHS am Schloss, Saarbrücken - a cooperation of the Department of Mathamatics with the Equal Opportunities Office of the UdS
22 November: Ceremonial presentation of the 75th anniversary book in Saarbrücken. Invitation only.
22 November: 7 p.m. Carmina Burana Performance of the large choir project at E-Werk, Saarbrücken
ExperieExperienced singer? Sing along! Information in German