- Understanding geopolitics through maps. Episodes from the series can be watched on YouTube
- Service by the Library of Congress (LOC). TCollections of annotated website links for every nation as selected by LOC experts. Links are to both government sites as well as outside servers and ordered by category.
- Description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions of countries throughout the world.
- General information on countries, supplemented by links to further German institutions (mostly public sector) such as DAAD, Goethe Insitut, embassies or development organizations. Affiliard with the german governmen is also Germany Trade and Invest, a database with concise economy related studies of national and transnational economies.
- Facts on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 266 world entities.
- Frequently updated country profiles of independent states, some dependencies, and areas of special sovereignty.
- Country studies on over 70 countries with a focus on issues related to international development programs.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit provides a constant flow of analysis and forecasts on more than 200 countries and six key industries. VPN client necessary
History, Sociology, Political Science
HANDBOOKS & ENCYCLOPEDIAS & SURVEYS
- Encyclopedias: Handwörterbuch Politik, Politiklexikon, Islam: Alltag, Geschichte und Kultur.
- Website also has a comprehensive section on International Politics with dossiers, e.g on China, India, Migration or Globalization
- e.g. Dictionary of Contemporary World History, Dictionary of Economics, Dictionary of Geography, Dictionary of Social Sciences, Oxford Companion to Politics of the World ...
- vpn-client necessary
- Its section Humanities, Social Sciences and Law contains many handbooks, such as the Handbook of the Sociology of Racial and Ethnic Relations, Handbook of Sociological Theory.
- Handbooks on e.g. Australian, Canadian, or Black British history.
- vpn-client necessary
- Index of political sites available on the Internet sorted by country, with links to Parties, Organizations, Governments, Media and more from all around the globe.
- Information concerning the laws and political institutions of countries from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe. Each country section also has a "Legal Guide" section which collects in-depth reports and a "general Resources" section with links to country reports, UN reports on the human rights situation, the world food programme etc.
- Research database with scholarly essays, timelines, biographies and rare historical documents related to the British Empire.
- vpn-client necessary
- Introduction to the history of early Spanish and Portugese colonialism
- Links to useful databases and resources such as encyclopedias for researching history
FACTS & DATA
- Independent, non-partisan, source of analysis and advice to governments, and intergovernmental bodies like the United Nations, European Union and World Bank, on the prevention and resolution of deadly conflict.
- Access to research reports and statistics sponsored by the World Bank
- Represents an on-going effort to identify and assemble statistical information conveying the key features of the political, economic, social and cultural environments of countries around the world. Maintained by Carleton University (Canada).
- Database contains statistical tables of demographic and socio-economic data for 227 countries and areas of the world. Output is displayed in charts and graphs, but can also be modified individually for use in spreadsheets etc. Maintained by the US Census Bureau.
- Research of scholarly articles, websites and bibliographic references to political, social, cultural and economic topics.
- JSTOR, Periodicals Index Online, Periodicals Archive Online or the databases contained in the EBSCO Host also contain journals from the social sciences.
- Comprehensive and up to date source for information on forced migration.
Forced Migration Online (FMO) is a cooperative project of several university centres for the study of migration and provides access to online resources dealing with the situation of forced migrants worldwide. Contains a digital library with access to full text articles on the topic.
- The ILO International Labour Migration Database was developed to make statistical information on international labour migration widely available.
- (Official) information and research reports on the situation of migrants and refugrees in Germany. The agency publishes the yearly "Migrationsbericht" and maintains the Integrationsportal which is a excellent portal to government and non-government agencies and programs concerned with all aspects of integration.
Human Rights & Development
- Database with more than 10.000 addresses to human rights organizations which can be searched by name, organization type, issues, etc.
- Up to date information on the present social and economic situation in a country, reports on development programs and information on German relations to these countries.
- Up-to-date information (reports, news releases) on human rights issues in each country from 1996 to date.
- Reports on human rights issues in each country and an overview of human rights developments in Jamaica from 1989 onwards.
- Reports on human rights situation of countries worldwide. Submitted annually to Congress by the US Department of State.
- Anti-Slavery International works at local, national and international levels to eliminate all forms of slavery around the world.