Admission requirements for the Master's program
All those interested in the Master's program Quantum Engineering apply online to the Department of Physics or Systems Engineering. Admission to the master's program "Quantum Engineering" is open to students who:
- holds a Bachelor's degree from a German university or an equivalent degree from a foreign university with a major in Quantum Engineering or in a subject related to Quantum Engineering
- sufficient language skills (usually level B2 according to the European Framework of Reference or comparable or better) in English, and
- demonstrates special aptitude. Criteria for the determination of the special suitability are the achievements in the previous academic career, proven by the overall grade of the Bachelor's degree of "good" (2.5) or better, as well as technical content of the acquired Bachelor's degree in various fields can be demonstrated and, if necessary, qualified expert opinions. For this, the number of CP in lectures and exercises in the following areas should not fall short of the respective indicated number of CP:
- in mechanics, optics, atomic physics, solid state physics and quantum mechanics in experimental physics and theoretical physics 36 CP,
- in fundamentals of electrical engineering, metrology and sensor technology 12 CP,
- in electrodynamics or theoretical electrical engineering 8 CP,
- in electronics and circuitry 10 CP,
- in mathematical basics 20 CP and
- in physical science and engineering practical courses 12 CP.
These criteria will be reviewed by the departments based on the data provided in the online application.
If your application is accepted, you will be notified in advance by email. An official certificate of acceptance will be sent to you by postal mail. This certificate serves as proof of acceptance of your application and is the prerequisite for enrollment in the program.
Before completing and submitting the online application form, please read the following information very carefully. They are intended to help you submit a complete application. Incomplete applications or applications received after the application deadline will not be considered.
The deadlines are:
01 March to the following summer semester
01 September for the following winter semester
It is very important for us to know your specific reasons for choosing our Master's program. Furthermore, we are interested in information about your areas of interest in research and about any relevant projects you have already carried out. You can include this information in a separate letter of motivation ("Purpose of Study").
Mandatory for all applicants
- a copy of your high school diploma or university entrance qualification
- a certified list of all courses attended during the bachelor's or diploma studies, including grades
- a brief description of the content of the individual courses (excerpt from module handbook or similar)
- copies of all degrees obtained so far (Vordiplom, Diplom, Bachelor)
Since the courses of the program are usually held in English, we require proof of your language skills (usually B2 level according to the European Framework of Reference). If you have a degree from a German school and have taken English classes for at least 6 years, up to and including the senior classes (last two years), please upload your high school diploma under the item "Language certificate". In all other cases we need a proof of the required language skills. If this proof is not available, a provisional admission can be granted on the condition that the required language skills are acquired within one semester, e.g. by taking a language course that concludes with the B2 level.
The details of two reference persons (e.g. university lecturers or employers) who know you and your work well. We will ask these individuals (via email) to upload a letter of reference for you. To help you, we have put together some instructions (Pdf in English) on the form of reference letters.
Please use this online application form only.
- Explanations of the grading system in the home country
- Copies of all degrees obtained to date (certified translation if original language is not English).
Please use this online application form only.
You will not need the originals of your documents until you enroll at the University Registrar's Office.
The application and all related documents remain with the university. Personal data will only be stored to the extent required and in compliance with data protection laws. Applications of rejected candidates will be destroyed after one year.