Financing your studies
Financing your studies in times of COVID-19
If you are worried about your federal training assistance act (BAföG) or lost your job due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you will find information on as well as an overview of adopted measures and agreements on the following web sites:
- No disadvantages for BAföG-students: information provided by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Studying in times of the pandemic: FAQ of the German National Association for Student Affairs (Deutsches Studentenwerk)
- Coronavirus emergency fund for Students at Saarland University
- Semester fee refund for students of Saarland University
- Interim financial aid for students affected by the pandemic provided by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Corona relief options through Federal Ministry of Education and Research: financial support for students offered by loan corporation KfW
BAföG allows you to study regardless of your economic situation. Students receiving BAföG get one half as a state grant and the other half as an interest-free loan. Applications for BAföG are processed by the Office of Student Financial Aid of Saarland Student Services on behalf of Saarland University.
Contact: Office of Student Financial Aid
Some banks offer loans specifically designed for students. A student loan must be reimbursed plus interest so that it adds up to a significant amount. However, as terms and conditions of suppliers can considerably vary from one another, you are advised to consult an expert and compare different offers first.
Students in a higher semester can take out an educational loan with the federal government. This type of financial support is a low-interest loan that you can apply for regardless of your income. However, the amount needs to be repaid in full and including interest.