Preparatory courses for international students

If the preliminary review documentation you receive from uni-assist indicates that your school leaving certificate does not meet the requirements to begin studying at a university in Germany, you will first need to complete a suitable higher education preparatory course.

This type of course usually takes place at a higher education preparatory institute (Studienkolleg) and concludes with a higher education assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung). Which Studienkolleg you study at will depend on what you later want to study at university. For example, if you are interested in studying a scientific or technical discipline, you will need to take the 'T course' track at a Studienkolleg; if you want to study medicine, you will need to join the 'M course', etc.

Saarland University does not have a Studienkolleg. If you are interested in studying a STEM subject at Saarland University (STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), you can apply to join our international foundation programme VSi MINT. In this particular case, you do not need to prove that you have successfully completed a higher education assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) at a Studienkolleg.

    • Preparatory German language course

    • International foundation programme VSi MINT