Proof of German language proficiency

If you plan to study at Saarland University you will need to show that you have the required level of proficiency in German (level 2 of the German higher education language proficiency exam DSH). This does not apply to students on exchange programmes or to international students who simply want to spend a study-abroad semester at Saarland University.

If you do not yet have the necessary German language skills to begin studying, you can apply to join a German language course at the International Study Centre Saar where you can prepare for the DSH language exam. To join one of these German courses you will need to apply and be admitted to Saarland University for the German language course (having also specified the undergraduate degree programme that you intend to study after completing the language course successfully). Once you have passed the DSH language exam, you will need to apply to Saarland University for admission to the degree programme that you intend to study.

Applications for the preparatory German language course must be submitted online by 15 July (for those starting in the winter semester) or 15 January (for those starting in the summer semester). You will also need to submit a request for preliminary review documentation from uni-assist. When you request preliminary review documentation from uni-assist, you will be asked to specify your intended programme of study. You should state the name of the degree programme that you plan to study after completing the German language course.

You can demonstrate your German proficiency by providing one of the following certificates:

Language proficiency certificates

  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH-2 or DSH-3)
  • Prüfung zum Nachweis deutscher Sprachkenntnisse (PNDS)
  • TestDaF with a grade of ‘TDN 4’ or ‘TDN 5’ in all parts of the examination
  • Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS) or Kleines deutsches Sprachdiplom (KDS) or Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP)
  • KMK Deutsches Sprachdiplom Stufe II

Please note that only the language proficiency certificates listed above will be accepted as proof of your German language skills. Other certificates, e.g. the Telc C1-Zertifikat, will not be recognized.

Higher education entrance qualifications

  • A certificate that the applicant has successfully completed the higher education assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) that determines the applicant’s suitability to study at a German university.
  • Formal notification of recognition from the relevant authority attesting that the applicant’s foreign higher education entrance qualification is equivalent to a German higher education entrance qualification, provided that such notification does not include any qualifying remark concerning the applicant’s German language proficiency.
  • A certificate that entitles the holder to study at a higher education institution in the issuing country, provided that the certificate is in German and was obtained at a German-speaking school. (In this case, the certificate will typically be the German Abitur).
  • A higher education entrance qualification from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg in accordance with Luxembourg law.