Collaborative Development of Conversational Agents (Master)
This course focuses on the design, development, deployment, and evaluation of conversational agents (e.g., chatbots or voice assistants) for a given problem domain (e.g., customer service, team collaboration).
The aim of the course is to introduce conceptual and technical foundations of conversational agents, relevant theories of human-computer interaction, and design guidelines for different classes of conversational agents. In addition, the course will introduce the user-centered design approach adapted to the design of conversational agents, including several qualitative and quantitative evaluation approaches.
The entire course is held virtually with no physical meetings, providing a first experience for future workplace scenarios. The course is a joint offering together with the Technische Universität Dresden (TUD, Prof. Brendel) and the Universität Hamburg (UHH, Prof. Bittner). Students will work collaboratively in virtual teams with students from the other universities (i.e., one student per university in one team).
Each semester, a new challenge is presented and students must first understand the respective problem domain in more detail (e.g., through studying literature and interviews). Next, the student teams derive user needs and requirements and create a first prototype of the conversational agent. This prototype is iteratively refined and subsequently implemented as a functional prototype using contemporary technology tools (e.g., Google Dialog Flow, Microsoft Bot Framework, Rasa, etc.). Finally, the student teams evaluate their conversational agent applying qualitative and quantitative methods (e.g., online experiments, surveys, interviews, focus groups, etc.).
The student teams document the results of each activity in a project report. The project report as well as the conversational agent prototype are the basis for the grading of the course.
After the successful participation in the course students can:
- explain conceptual and technical foundations of conversational agents.
- perform the user-centered design approach to design, develop, and evaluate a conversational agent.
- deploy a conversational agent prototype based on state-of-the-art tools and frameworks.
- evaluate the conversational agent prototype using qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods.
- Format: Lecture & Project (Exercise)
- Course of Studies: Master BWL, Master DiBWL, Master Winfo, Master WiPäd, Master W&R
- Language: English
- Semester: every semester
- Scope: 6 CP
- Lecture Start: Monday, 18.10.2021, 10:15 – 11:45 via MS Teams
- Interactive Session: Monday, 10:15 – 11:45 via MS Teams
- Please register for the course via the form on this page
This course is a joint offer by the Technische Universität Dresden (TUD) and the Universität Hamburg (UHH) in the project chatbotresearch.org.
- Students should have first experiences in programming and the motivation to enhance them
- Experience in human-computer interaction and conversational agents is optional (all relevant content will be provided)
- English communication skills
The entire course is limited to 15 participants (5 per university) and requires a short registration via the following registration form.
There will be a waiting list for open seats.