Requirements for participation in the Master's programme
The number of study places is limited. Selection is based on criteria of professional qualification and suitability.
Admission to the LL.M. Master's programme is granted to those who can provide proof of a foreign university law degree with 240 credit points as well as to those who have successfully completed a law degree comparable and equivalent to the German law degree at a university outside the Federal Republic of Germany.
Foreign nationals must prove sufficient knowledge of the German language (level B2).
The following is recognised as proof of German language skills for applicants coming from outside the German-speaking area:
- German language test for the admission of foreign applicants to higher education (DSH)
- Test of German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF)
- Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom or Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom awarded by the Goethe-Institut
- Central Advanced Level Examination of the Goethe-Institut Final examination of a German or German-speaking higher education institution German Language Diploma Level II of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany
- Final examination in German language and literature studies at a foreign university
Other language certificates not listed here must be checked separately.
Applicants who were enrolled at the Centre Juridique Franco-Allemand of Saarland University and successfully completed the first two years of their studies are exempt from this proof.
For the admission we need the following documents from you:
- Application for admission and 2 photographs
- Typewritten curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation
- Officially certified copy of your degree certificate
- Officially certified copy of the transcript of records
- Officially certified copy of the high school certificate
- Officially certified copy of proof of German language proficiency
All documents that are not written in German, English or French must be submitted with a certified German translation.
Requirements for enrolment as a student at Saarland University
In order to become a student at Saarland University, you must enrol at the Registrar's Office. To do this, you need to meet the following requirements, which you can also find in the information sheet.
You will receive a notification of admission as a student. You must submit this once again.
You must bring with you the law degree certificate on the basis of which you are allowed to take part in the Master's programme (if possible, the original).
A copy of your passport or identity card
in passport photo format (JPG) with a minimum resolution of 248x330 pixels
You must prove that you are insured in case of illness during the academic year (health insurance). If your current insurance does not cover illness in Germany, you must take out a new insurance policy in Germany; otherwise you will not be enrolled by the Student Administration Office. If, on the other hand, your insurance does cover cases of illness in Germany, you can be exempted from compulsory insurance if you provide the appropriate proof.
A semester fee must be paid to Saarland University. The amount changes annually (currently 289 euros per semester). This amount includes the so-called semester ticket, which allows you to use all buses and trains in the Saarland free of charge, as well as the administrative fee of 50 euros. LL.M. students are exempt from paying the administrative fee (link), so the total semester fee is 239 euros per semester.
The tuition fees for the LL.M. Master's programme amount to EUR 500 per semester.