Restricted-entry Bachelor's degree programmes / Teacher training programmes (Lehramt)
Admission applications and enrolment
Applications for a place on a degree programme or for a place on a preparatory German language course are usually submitted online via the SIM application portal within the following application periods:
- early June until 15 July (for winter semester entry)
- early December until 15 January (for summer semester entry)
Some degree programmes only start in the winter semester. For further information, please refer to the following overview of undergraduate degree programmes currently offered.
Special cases: If you plan to apply to Saarland University for a place on the Bachelor's degree programme in Biology or Psychology and you meet the requirements to begin studying at university, you must first register with the service platform 'Hochschulstart' so that you can access the dialogue-oriented service procedure (DoSV). When you register with Hochschulstart, you will receive an applicant ID number (BID) and an applicant authentication number (BAN). The next step is to apply for first-semester entry via Saarland University's SIM portal, where you will be required to enter your BID and BAN. After submitting your application via the university's SIM portal, your application will be forwarded to Hochschulstart where it will be stored in your user account for you to access and process further as required.
In terms of the application process, applicants who are EU or EEA nationals are treated as equivalent to German applicants. When you apply for admission, you will need to specify the equivalent average grade of your higher education entrance qualification (as determined by uni-assist), which can be found in your preliminary review documentation.
Please note that for a few degree programmes (see 'Exceptions' below) other application procedures apply.
Please submit the following documents in digital form (e.g. as a scan):
- Preliminary review documentation from uni-assist only for a first semester application
- Proof of proficiency in German (e.g. a German language certificate)
- Your school-leaving certificate / higher education entrance qualification (in the original language plus an officially certified translation into German, English or French; if the original document is in German, English or French, no translation is required)
- Valid identity document or passport
- If applicable, certificate of graduation from a foreign university (in the original language plus an officially certified translation into German, English or French; if the original document is in German, English or French, no translation is required)
- If applicable, certificate of graduation from a German university and a statement explaining your reasons for studying for a second degree
- If applicable, a certificate with the results of a higher education assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) from a higher education preparatory institute (Studienkolleg)
- If applicable, certificates of enrolment from other German universities at which you previously studied
- If you are applying for higher-semester entry: Credit transfer certificate or a formal record of recognition of prior learning issued by the examination office of the relevant faculty
If your application was successful and you receive an offer of admission, you will need to enrol in your chosen degree programme. Information on the enrolment procedure and enrolment deadline is contained in your letter of admission. As enrolment is only possible during a period of a few days, please check your email inbox regularly.
In addition to your letter of admission, you will also need to submit the following documents in digital form (e.g. as a scan) as part of the enrolment process:
- Passport photograph
- Proof of health insurance cover
- Proof of payment of the semester fee
- If applicable, proof of de-registration from the German university at which you were previously enrolled.