Ideas competition 'A Vision for Europe'
What are the ideas that ignite young people's passion for Europe? What are the facts, arguments and experiences that can inspire Europeans to build a better Europe for tomorrow?
To find answers to these questions, the Friedrich Foundation (Friedrich Stiftung) and Saarland University are inviting students of all disciplines to take part in the competition 'A Vision for Europe'.
Who can participate?
- The competition is open to students at Saarland University and to students enrolled at a partner university in one of the international university alliances 'Transform4Europe' or 'University of the Greater Region (UniGR)'.
Submissions can take the following forms:
- Conceptual 'sketch, essay, literary work (each about 3-5 pages of text), graphic short story (about 10-15 pages)
- Languages: German, English or French
- It is also possible to work in groups.
- Please also submit a certificate of enrolment for the winter semester 2023/2024. You will also have to agree to and submit the declaration of consent for the competition.
What is the prize money?
- The Friedrich Foundation will award prizes for the most convincing entries: 1st prize €2500, 2nd prize €1500, 3rd prize €1000. The winners will be selected by a judging panel made up of German and European personalities: Professor Timothy Garton Ash, futurologist Dr Florence Gaub, Reinhard Bütikofer (Member of the European Parliament), Professor Tiziana Chiusi (Chair of the Cluster for European Research and Professor of Civil Law, Roman Law and Comparative European Law at Saarland University) as well as members of the Board of Trustees of the Friedrich Foundation, Professor Christina Weiss (former Minister of State for Culture) and Professor Jan-Hendrik Olbertz (former President of Humboldt University Berlin). The winning submissions will be brought to the attention of European politicians and representatives of EU institutions and will be published on the Foundation’s website.
Submissions should be sent to the following email address: vision-fuer-europa(at)outlook.de
The submission deadline is 31 March 2024.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Yes, it is possible to work in groups. If a group project wins, the prize money will be divided.
- No, it it not possible to submit more than one project. However, it is possible to submit an essay or literary work with pictures or illustrations (limited to 5 pages).
- You will have to submit your project as well as a certificate of enrolment for the winter semester 2023/2024 of the Saarland University or of one of the international university alliances 'Transform4Europe' or 'University of the Greater Region (UniGR)'. You will also have to agree to and submit the declaration of consent for the competition.
- No, it is not allowed to submit a video or short film.