What do I need to be aware of if I’m not a German national?

If you do not have German citizenship, you should get in touch with your HR adviser at the Human Resources Division Your adviser can help you to navigate German bureaucratic requirements, such as visa applications, residence permits, insurance cover, bank accounts and other complex administrative issues.

If you have other questions about living and working in Germany that are not directly related to your professorial appointment, we recommend contacting the team at the International Office or visiting the Welcome Center on campus. The staff there are experienced in supporting those new to the university and can provide information and assistance to help you settle in and become acquainted with life on campus.

If you would like to improve your German language skills, you can take advantage of the language courses offered by the International Study Centre Saar (ISZ), which are available to all employees of the university.

If you need information for international members of your department or group, a good place to start is our dedicated web page for international staff.

If you have any questions, suggestions, comments or requests, don’t hesitate to get in touch.


Contact us!