Prof. Dr. Jürgen Eschner
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Eschner and co-workers
Experimentalphysik - Quantum Photonics
Universität des Saarlandes
Campus E2 6
66123 Saarbrücken, Germany
- August 2021 - Jelena Ritter schließt ihren Bachelor ab. Herzlichen Glückwunsch!
- 25. Juni 2021 - Omar Elshehy und Tobias Bauer präsentieren unsere Resultate auf der EQEC.
- April 2021 - Michelle Schwarz schließt ihre Staatsexamensarbeit ab. Herzlichen Glückwunsch!
- 09. März 2021 - J. Eschner stellt unsere Ergebnisse auf der EACN vor.
- 26. Nov. 2020 - Die Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft hat unseren Transregio-SFB "CoQuLiMa - Quantum Cooperativity of Light and Matter" bewilligt! Pressemitteilung
- 04. Nov. 2020 - Stephan Kucera und J. Eschner stellen unsere Ergebnisse auf der QTECH vor.
- 28. Sept. 2020 - Bei einem Besuch der Firma Huawei am DFKI stellt J. Eschner die Forschung an der UdS im Gebiet der Quantentechnologie vor.
- 28. Oct. 2019 - The public lecture series "Echt jetzt?" ("Really?") on aspects of Reality will start on 08. Januar 2020.
- 28. Aug. 2019 - German-French "Quantum Future Academy" in Saarbrücken.
- 05. Juni 2019 - J. Eschner presents our research on tools for quantum networks at the CEWQO in Paderborn.
- 23. May 2019 - Jan Arenskötter presents our research at the Symposium "Single Photon based Quantum Technologies" in Berlin.
- 01. Mai 2019 - Martin Steinel joins our group for his Master project, and Max Bergerhoff joins us for his Bachelor project. Welcome!
- 04.-06. Apr. 2019 - Stephan Kucera and Matthias Kreis present our research at the QIM - Quantum Information and Measurement topical meeting in Rome.
- 11.-15. March 2019 - Matthias Kreis, Jan Arenskötter, and Anna Breunig present our research at the DPG Spring Meeting in Rostock.
- 27. Feb. 2019 - The public lecture series "Laaangweilig!" ("Boooring!") about the notion of time finished with a lecture on time travel. Like all evenings, the lecture hall at the Filmhaus was fully booked!
- 16. Jan. 2019 - The public lecture series "Laaangweilig!" ("Boooring!") about the notion of time started successfully.
- 14. Jan. 2018 - Our manuscript "Continuous-wave virtual-state lasing from cold ytterbium atoms" is published in PRA.
- 04. Jan. 2018 - Our manuscript "Optical bistability and nonlinear dynamics by saturation of cold ytterbium atoms in a cavity" is accepted for publication in PRA.
- 19. Dec. 2018 - Farewell to our former secretary Frau Michel. Thank you for your truly exceptional services, and enjoy your retirement!
- 01. Nov. 2018 - We participate in the BMBF-funded quantum technology project "CaLas".
- 01. Oct. 2018 - The UdS publishes a press release about our participation in the BMBF-funded project Q.Link.X.
- 01. Aug. 2018 - The BMBF-funded coordinated project "Q.Link.X" (Quantum Link Extension) begins. Its goal is the development of quantum repeater technology. Project partners at the UdS are C. Becher and J. Eschner.
- 31. July 2018 - Farewell to Floriane Brunel and Hridya M.S. who finish their internships. Thank you and all the best for the future!
- 21. May 2018 - Nature Communications publishes our paper "High-fidelity entanglement between a trapped ion and a telecom photon via quantum frequency conversion", a collaboration with Christoph Becher's group.
- 11. May 2018 - Hridya M.S., internship student from India, joins us for the next three months. Welcome!
- 23. Apr. 2018 - Lukas Hartung from A. Kubanek's group, Uni Ulm, visits us and reports on "Setting up a cryogenic, confocal microscope with single-atom resolution".
- 04.-09. Mar. 2018 - Dmitij, Jan, Pascal, and Matthias Bock present our results on the DPG Spring Meeting in Erlangen.
- 05.-07. Feb. 2018 - J. Eschner presents our work on the Heraeus-Seminar "Quantum Networks – From Building Blocks to Applications". Link
- 01. Oct. 2017 - Anna Breunig and Omar Elshehy join us for their Master projects, and Christian Haen for his Bachelor project. Welcome!
- 31. Aug. 2017 - Jürgen Eschner presents our research at the NIM Resonator QED Conference in München.
- 07. and 14. Aug. 2017 - Pascal Eich presents our results at the Gordon Conference on Quantum Control of Light and Matter and the North American Conference on Trapped Ions.
- 02. Aug. 2017 - Our manuscript "Spectral properties of single photons from quantum emitters", a collaboration with G. Morigi's group, is accepted for publication in PRA.
- 12. July 2017 - Younis Al Riyami, engineering student from Oman, visits us for two months as an IAESTE/DAAD internship student. Welcome Younis!
- 08. July 2017 - Jürgen Eschner presents our research at the Quantum Information Workshop at Hongkong University.
- 03.-07. Juli 2017 - Hannes Gothe presents our cavity QED results at the ICOLS in Arcachon, France.
- 04. July 2017 - Jürgen Eschner presents our results as invited speaker at the annual meeting of the French Physikal Society.
- 25.-29. June 2017 - EQEC in München: Matthias Kreis and Jan Arenskötter present our results.
- 24. June 2017 - "Tag der offenen Tür" at the UdS. We show demonstration experiments about quantum information with atoms and photons.
- 14.-19. May 2017 - At the CLEO in San Jose, CA, USA, Stephan Kucera und Christoph Becher present our results.
- 27. Apr. 2017 - Our manuscript "Coherence and entanglement preservation of frequency-converted heralded single photons", a collaboration with C. Becher's group, is published in Optics Express.
- 06. Apr. 2017 - Jürgen Eschner presents our results at the "Quantum Information and Measurement" conference in Paris.
- 08. Dez. 2016 - J. Eschner presents "Einzelne Atome im Licht der Physik und der Philosophie" to the general university audience as part of the 24-hour lecture. 24-h-VO beim AStA
- 03. Nov. 2016 - The first public lecture of our series on "Nichts" (Nothing) was followed by about 140 enthusiastic visitors!
- 01. July 2016 - Our paper "Programmable atom-photon quantum interface" has been published in Physical Review A! Link
- 04. Apr. 2016 - José Brito defends his doctoral thesis and will receive his PhD degree. Congratulations!
- 03. Mar. 2016 - DPG Spring Meeting in Hannover. Stephan Kucera and Pascal Eich report on our results.
- 14. Jan. 2016 - Dr. Michael Schug's last day in the group, he moves into industry. Good Luck, Michael! Farewell snapshot
- 17. Dec. 2015 - Our manuscript "Telecom-heralded single-photon absorption by a single atom", a collaboration with C. Becher's group, is published in Physical Review A.
- 10. Dec. 2015 - Our public lecture series "Licht-Reflektionen" finishes. It was a great success!
- 02. Nov. 2015 - Our manuscript "Single Telecom Photon Heralding by Wavelength Multiplexing in an Optical Fiber", a collaboration with C. Becher's group, has been accepted for publication in Applied Physics B.
- 24. Sept. 2015 - On the "Info-Tag" at Uni Trier, J. Eschner presents the physics studies and research at the UdS.
- 21. Sept. 2015 - Jean-Michel Raimond from College de France, Paris, presents a colloquium "Exploring the Quantum". It is the first lecture of a series "Licht-Reflektionen", celebrating the International Year of Light.
- 20. Sept. 2015 - Our manuscript "Doubly-heralded single-photon absorption by a single atom" has been accepted for publication in Applied Physics B.
- 16. Sept. 2015 - Christoph Kurz defends his thesis and receives the doctoral degree. Congratulations!
- 11. Sept. 2015 - Michael Schug defends his thesis and receives the doctoral degree. Congratulations!
- 21.-25. June 2015 - CLEO-Europe/EQEC 2015 is held in München; J. Eschner is one of the General Chairs of the conference. P. Eich, S. Kucera, and M. Bock (AG Becher) present our work.
- 15. Apr. 2015 - Diksha Jain, student from IISER Mohali, India, joins us for 3 months as an internship student.
- 13. Jan. 2015 - We are grateful to our colleagues in- and outside Germany for their support in fighting against the proposed buget cuts!
- We have open positions!...more...
- 27.-31. Oct. 2014 - J. Eschner and J. Brito present the latest results of the group on the "Quantum Optics VII" conference in Mar del Plata, Argentina. Link to Conference
- 27. Sept. - 02. Oct. 2014 - The "Highlights der Physik" in Saarbrücken on the topic Quantenwelten are a tremendous success! The group presents "Die Zukunft von bits und bytes". Link
- 25. Sept. 2014 - On the "Info-Tag" at Uni Trier, J. Eschner presents the physics studies and research at the UdS.
- 01. May 2014 - The new BMBF funded coordinated project Q.com-Q starts. It will support our research towards single atom - single photon interfaces for the next 3 years.
- 31. March 2014 - Dr. Jan Huwer's last day. We wish him all the best for his new job at Toshiba, Cambridge!
- 22. Feb. 2014 - J. Eschner spends 6 weeks as guest researcher in Dave Wineland's and Didi Leibfried's group at NIST Boulder, CO, USA.
- 31. Dec. 2013 - The BMBF-funded coordinated project QuOReP - quantum optical repeater technology terminates. A new funding period will start in May 2014.
- 22. Jan. 2014 - "Was ist dran am Quantencomputer?" Quantum physicists from Saarbrücken explain the state of the art. Link to article.
- 29. Jan. 2014 - Jan Huwer defends his thesis. His colloquium was held at ICFO - The Institute of Photonic Sciences in Barcelona. Link to announcement.
- 30. Sept. 2013 - Our manuscript "Single calcium-40 ion as quantum memory for photon polarization" has been published in Appl. Phys. B. Link to paper.
- 21. Mai 2013 - Our manuscript "Heralded photonic interaction between distant single ions" has been published in PRL. Link to paper.
- 12.-16. Mai 2013 - J. Eschner acts as Program Chair of the IQEC, held in München together with CLEO-Europe. Link to conference.
- 10. Mai 2013 - J. Eschner and C. Becher are portrayed for their research in the magazine FORUM. Link to article.
- 09. May 2013 - Our manuscript "A high-rate source for single photons in a pure quantum state" has been published in New Journal of Physics. Link to paper.
- 10. Apr. 2013 - J. Eschner holds a public evening lecture at the FH Zweibrücken: "Physik mit einzelnen Atomen - Kontrolle von Quantensystemen". Pdf of the talk.
- 02. Apr. 2013 - J. Eschner presents the talk "Heralded ion-photon and ion-ion interactions" at the QIon13 Workshop in Obergurgl, Austria. Link to workshop page.
- 18.-22. Mar. 2013 - At the DPG Spring Meeting, Michael Schug, Christoph Kurz, Philipp Müller, and Pascal Eich present four contributions of the group. Link to meeting.
- 14. Feb. 2013 - Physical Review Letters has accepted our manuscript "Shot-noise limited monitoring and phase locking of the motion of a single trapped ion", a collaboration between Karlsruhe, Saarbrücken, Mainz, and Innsbruck! Link to paper.
- 16. Jan. 2013 - Our manuscript "Photon entanglement detection by a single atom" has been accepted by New Journal of Physics. Link to paper.
- 06. Dez. 2012 - J. Eschner presents "Dompteure der Quanten - Die Physik des Nobelpreises 2012" in the Physics Colloquium. Pdf of the talk.
- 09. Oct. 2012 - We congratulate Dave Wineland und Serge Haroche on winning the Nobel Prize for their breakthrough work in quantum optics, quantum information, and quantum electrodynamics! more...
- 02. Juni 2012 - Tag der offenen Tür!
- 01. Jan. 2012 - Graduate training in the groups Becher, Morigi, Wilhelm-Mauch, and Eschner will be supported by the UdS as a "topical graduate program" with the title Kontrolle von Quantensystemen für die Entwicklung von Quantentechnologie (Ctrl-Q) (Control of quantum systems for quantum technologies).
- 28. Aug. 2011 - The ion lab appears in the program "future now" on Deutsche Welle (minute 5:38).
- 01. Sept. 2011 - The ion-photon experiment is part of the QSCALE research network in the european Chist-ERA programme.
- 01. Nov. 2010 - The ion experiment is part of the QuOReP collaborative project for quantum repeater technology.
- 24. Okt. 2010 - Nature Physics publishes results on the heralded absorption of single photons by single ions. Link to paper (advance online publication).