Health insurance (mandatory)

You will need to take out health insurance for the duration of your stay. The type of health insurance cover will depend on whether or not you have an employment contract with Saarland University or one of the on-campus research institutes:

Information on health insurance

Special insurance cover for students

Students enrolled at Saarland University automatically receive personal accident, theft and public liability insurance cover through the Studierendenwerk.

Other insurance policies

  • Personal liability insurance: Covers accidental loss of or damage to other people's property if caused by you outside the University
  • Contents insurance: Covers damage to or loss of personal possessions or fixtures and fittings in your room or apartment
  • Car insurance: If you own a car and will be staying for an extended period in Germany, you must register your car with the local authorities and take out car insurance.