Opening a bank account

You will need a bank account with a German bank in order to pay your bills or to be able to rent a room in a student dormitory. We advise opening a 'Girokonto', which is equivalent to a British current account or an American checking account. Most banks in Saarbrücken offer current accounts, though conditions and prices may vary. For students a current account is usually free of charge.

Documents you'll need to open a bank account
  • a valid passport or personal ID document
  • a residence certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung) from the Residents' Registration Office (Bürgeramt) in Saarbrücken
  • Students will need to present their certificate of enrolment at Saarland University (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)



Saarbrücken Campus
Building A4 4
Phone: +49 681 302-71122

Office hours:
Every day from 09:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

The Welcome Center will be closed from 22.12.2017 to 01.01.2018.