Residents' Registration

If you will be staying in Germany for more than three months, you (and all members of your family) will need to register at the local Citizens' Registration Office after your arrival. Please remember to re-register or deregister each time you move or before you leave the country! You must also deregister your residence status when you leave Germany.

Please make an appointment to register:

If you are moving to Germany for the first time, please select "Meldeangelegenheiten" and then "Wohnsitzanmeldung Zuzug aus dem Ausland". If you have moved within Germany, please select "Wohnsitzanmeldung Zuzug aus dem Bundesgebiet".

In order to register, you will need to present a valid passport or personal ID and a document called "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" from your landlord. Usually, you will receive this document when you move in.
On the day of the appointment you will receive your registration certificate, which you need for example to open a bank account or for the immigration office. However, you will receive your tax number later by mail.

Book an appointment with the Citizens` Office

Appointments are taken very quickly and it may take some time before you get an appointment.

TIpp: Visit the website very early in the morning, because every morning at 07:30 new appointments are published for the next working day. This way you can complete residence registration as quickly as possible.

There are four Bürgerämter in Saarbrücken (City, Dudweiler, Halberg and Burbach). You can register at any Bürgeramt, it does not have to be the Bürgeramt in your district. You may get an appointment earlier at another Bürgeramt than the one that is closest to you!

Without appointment

On Wednesdays it is also possible to go to the Bürgeramt without an appointment.
You can take a waiting number until 11:30 a.m. and after your number has been called, your matter will be dealt with.
Please note that there may be long waiting times on this day.