Students who plan to continue studying at Saarland University in the following semester must actively re-register so that they remain enrolled. If you do not re-register, you will be automatically deregistered from Saarland University at the end of the semester.
If you have enrolled at the university for the first time for the winter semester 2022/23, you do not need to apply for re-registration for the winter semester 2022/23.
NEW: Online re-registration for winter semester 2022/2023
All students at Saarland University are now required to re-register online. This is a two-stage process:
- Submit a re-registration request in the SIM student web portal within the designated re-registration period.
- Transfer the required payment fee in full and within the relevant period into the university's bank account.
The re-registration process is complete only after both steps have been concluded successfully.
Re-registration periods for winter semester 2022/2023
- Regular re-registration period: 7 June until 31 July 2022
- Late re-registration period (additional charge will be incurred): 1 August until 17 September 2022
(Note: the late re-registration option is not available to students taking a preparatory German language course or who are on the VSi MINT programme)
How do I re-register?
To submit a re-registration request in the SIM student web portal, please proceed as follows:
- Select Meine Anträge (My applications).
- On the next page, click on Antrag anlegen (Initiate new request/application) at the lower left of the page.
- Select Antrag auf Rückmeldung (Request re-registration) from the dropdown menu (in the dialogue box Art des Antrags (Type of request/application)).
- You will then be shown the fee that you will need to pay, the required purpose-of-payment text ('Verwendungszweck') and the university's bank details. Please make sure that you include all of this information when making the bank transfer payment.
- Please check your address details and make any necessary corrections.
- If re-registration has been blocked, please upload the required documents on the Anlagen (Appendices) tab.
- Click on the Submit button (lower right) to submit your re-registration request.
Please submit your online re-registration request before you transfer the required fee within the designated re-registration period.
To complete the re-registration process; you will need to pay the necessary fees in full within the relevant period. The relevant information (amount to be paid, university bank account details, purpose-of-payment information) will be provided to you during the online re-registration process in the SIM student web portal. But you can also review the details of your online re-registration application via the menu.
Please note that it may take several days for the payment to be credited to the university's bank account. We therefore recommend that you transfer the required amount in a timely manner so that the money is credited to the university’s account within the re-registration period.
Cross-enrolled students (Zweithörer) who are studying at Saarland University but who pay their fees at another university within the Universitätsverbund Südwest (South-West University Alliance) are exempt and do not have to pay any fees to Saarland University. However, if you are cross-enrolled at Saarland University and wish to have a Saarland University semester travel ticket, you will need to pay the travel ticket fee into the university bank account. When you submit your online application to re-register at Saarland University, please provide written notification to tell us that you have voluntarily purchased a semester travel ticket and upload this information together with your new certificate of enrolment (from the other university at which you are enrolled and pay fees).
Accessing enrolment status documents
Once your re-registration fee has been paid, your administrative documents for the coming semester (e.g. certificate of enrolment or confirmation of student status for the BAföG office) will be automatically available for download from the SIM student web portal via the menu item Formulare und Bescheinigungen (Forms and Documents).
Validating your Saarland University Card (UdS Card)
Once you have successfully re-registered, you can validate your UdS Card (student ID card) at one of the on-campus validation terminals. However, the earliest possible validation date is one week after transferring the re-registration fee to the university. When you validate your UdS Card, the travel ticket for the upcoming semester will be printed onto your card.
Very rarely, someone may find that they are unable to re-register in the SIM student portal, as the re-registration process has been blocked. To unblock the re-registration process, you will need to submit some additional documentation. Typical cases in which re-registration has been blocked because additional documentation is required:
- You are a cross-enrolled student (Zweithörer): Certificate of enrolment from the university at which you were first enrolled and a letter of approval regarding your cross-enrolled status from the relevant dean at Saarland University if the previous letter of approval did not cover the upcoming semester.
- You have been admitted to a Master's degree programme subject to conditions: Proof that you have met the stated conditions.
- Your health insurance payments are in arrears: Please contact your health insurance provider and ask them to send an electronic record to Saarland University verifying that your health insurance payments are no longer in arrears.
- You have switched to another health insurance provider: Please contact your new health insurance provider and ask them to send an electronic record to Saarland University. If necessary, also ask them to provide: a certificate verifying that you have health insurance cover.
- You have graduated from a degree programme: In this case, you can only re-register if you enrol in a new degree programme.
- You have lost your right of examination: In this case, you can only re-register if you enrol in a new degree programme.
- You have extended your student status (as an exchange student): Proof of your new admission status as issued by the International Office.
- You were taking a higher education access course (for qualified professionals): Proof that you have successfully completed the higher education access course.
- You are taking a preparatory German language course or are on the VSi MINT programme: Proof that you have existing health insurance cover for the coming semester.
If you are unable to re-register because the re-registration process has been blocked and you are unsure of what to do, please send an email to studium(at)uni-saarland.de stating your name, date of birth and your student registration number.
How much is my semester fee?
Information on fees
For information on the semester fee paid by all students and on the other supplementary fees that are paid by non-enrolled students, senior citizen students and cross-enrolled students, please click on the Fees information page.
If you re-register late, you will incur an additional late re-registration charge of €15.
If you are cross-enrolled as a student from a university within the Universitätsverbund Südwest (South-West University Alliance), you do not have to pay any fees to Saarland University. If you are cross-enrolled at Saarland University and would like to have a semester travel ticket, you will need to pay the semester travel ticket fee into Saarland University's bank account. When you submit your online application to re-register at Saarland University, please provide written notification to tell us that you have voluntarily purchased a semester travel ticket and upload this information together with your new certificate of enrolment (from the other university at which you are enrolled and pay fees).
Important: Your obligation to provide notification
You must inform the Admissions Office within the re-registration period if:
- you have changed your nationality (please provide proof of naturalization or your new passport issued by the government of the country of which you are now a national),
- you completed your academic programme during the last semester (please provide proof of graduation) or
- you have permanently lost your right of examination in a particular degree programme (please provide a letter of notification from the relevant examinations office).
If one of the above situations applies to you, please upload the relevant documentation (specified in parentheses) when you submit your online re-registration request. Click on the tab Anlagen (Appendices) that can be accessed in the re-registration request section of the SIM student portal.