Working at Saarland University
A major regional employer with a diverse and talented workforce
With employees working in such diverse areas as academic research and teaching, administrative and technical services or in the manual trades, Saarland University is one of the largest employers in Saarland. Our success as an innovative and forward-focused university relies not only on the knowledge and skills of our staff, but on their motivation and satisfaction as well. We aim to provide an attractive workplace environment that is the bedrock for ensuring the well-being of all our staff. We offer:
- Clearly defined working conditions based on public sector and civil service employment law
- Flexible working hours
- Optional hybrid work arrangements
- Support and assistance with balancing work and family commitments
- A wide range of continuing education and training courses
- A comprehensive package of services to promote and maintain the physical and mental well-being of our staff
- A main campus located in pleasant woodland surroundings just a short distance from the Saarbrücken city centre
- An open and welcoming campus with plenty of cafés and places to relax.
Saarland is now my home
Unless they come from the region, most people have only a vague idea of what Saarland is really like. Most of them will have heard the name only as a size reference when the media talk about oil spills or forest fires 'the size of Saarland'. But most of those who come to Saarland find so much to like that don't want to leave. Laura Aradilla Zapata, who took up a junior professorship in biophysics at Saarland University in October 2020, is one such person. As a young research scientist, Prof. Zapata has already seen her fair share of Europe. But nowhere was the welcome so warm as here in Saarland.