'Founding a new university means embracing a new idea and a new goal. Our aim is to shape this university into an instrument of a true European spirit – a place where professors from different nations and students speaking different languages come together.'
This founding spirit – expressed in 1948 by the first rector of Saarland University, Jean Barriol – is still very much in evidence at Saarland University today. Internationality has always been a defining feature of the University and it is an integral part of day-to-day life on campus, where people from different countries meet and interact and where academic study, teaching and research have a strong international component.
The University's international outlook is evident in:
- the wide range of international degree programmes offered (29 in total, 20 of which lead to either a double-degree or a triple-degree qualification)
- the large number of international students (around 20%, the average in Germany is about 13%)
- the many international cooperative programmes (with 240 universities in 28 countries)
- the substantial levels of European external funding (around €40 million from the 7th Framework Programme alone)
- its core strategic area 'Europe' that provides an interdisciplinary platform for addressing European issues in both research and teaching
- the ideal preparation that our graduates receive for careers in the international job market
- its attractiveness to foreign scholars, scientists and academics
- the opportunities for cross-border study and research offered by the University of the Greater Region – a network of universities in which Saarland University plays a key role.
Studieren über alle Grenzen hinweg
Von Indien nach Saarbrücken? Ein Auslandsjahr in Schweden? Oder zum trinationalen Studium nach Metz und Luxemburg? Was vor einem Jahr selbstverständlich war, ist in Zeiten von Corona mit einigen Hürden verbunden. Vom Auslandstudium ließen sich einige Studierende dennoch nicht abhalten. [mehr...]
Vice-President for Internationalization and European Relations
Office: Sina Maria Nisters
Phone: +49 681 302-2651
Coordinating Office for International Affairs and the University of the Greater Region
Assistant to the Vice-President
Phone: +49 681 302-3316