If there are no entry restrictions for the degree programme that you would like to study, you can enrol directly with the university provided that you meet the formal enrolment requirements. You can see which undergraduate degree programmes currently have entry restrictions by checking the list of academic programmes. If you plan to combine a number of different subjects in your proposed degree programme (e.g. a teacher training degree), please make sure that entry restrictions do not apply to any of your chosen subjects.
The enrolment procedure is conducted via Saarland University's student information management (SIM) portals. Students who want to enrol for the summer semester of 2022 can access the SIM portals from mid-December to the end of March.
If you have any questions about using the SIM portals, please check out our dedicated help pages, where you will find lots of useful information, videos and step-by-step guides.
- Winter semester: from the beginning/middle of June to 30 September
- Summer semester: from mid-December to 31 March
If you want to enrol in a degree programme that does not have entry restrictions, you do not need to submit an admission application beforehand and you can simply enrol at Saarland University. If you want to start studying in the winter semester, you will need to complete the enrolment procedure by 30 September; if you plan to start in the summer semester, you must enrol by 31 March.
Required documents and the university’s enrolment regulations
- Overview of the documents required for enrolment
- Regulations Governing Student Enrolment at Saarland University (PDF, currently available in German only)
Certificates and important administrative documents
Immediately after you have been enrolled, you will be able to access the following certificates and documents from the SIM portals; you will need these certificates and documents when you begin studying with us.
- Your IT account notification letter with your HIZ (UdS) ID code, your student password and your student email address can be accessed via the SIM application portal once you are enrolled.
- All other documentation (e.g. certificates of enrolment or BAföG certification) can be downloaded from the SIM student web portal by entering your HIZ ID code and your student password.
Applicants who have a foreign higher education entrance qualification
Different rules apply if you are a prospective student with a foreign higher education entrance qualification and are planning to enrol for the first semester of a study programme at Saarland University. For further information please read the information for international applicants.
Registering or enrolling as a doctoral research student
As a doctoral research student (PhD student) at Saarland University, you may be required to register or enrol with the Admissions Office. Whether registration or enrolment is mandatory or optional will depend on the faculty at which you will be conducting your doctoral research. Click the following link for further information on registering or enrolling as a doctoral research student.