Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (M.Sc.)
Artificial intelligence is now being put to use everywhere, in online shopping, autonomous driving or medical data analysis. The international master's programme 'Data Science and Artificial Intelligence' aims to prepare students for demanding national and international research and development activities in this field. The Master's programme is based on complex data analysis and automation: from mathematics and statistics to machine learning, artificial intelligence, big data, data management, modelling and simulation or data visualization.
Students work on concrete questions and problems of application subjects such as computer linguistics, physics, material sciences, chemistry, psychology and biology. By dealing with sensitive data, aspects of IT security, law, data protection, philosophy and ethics are also important considerations in this course of study. An industrial internship and a master internship in a research group can be included in the elective requirements.
Along with the professors in Saarland University's Department of Computer Science and Department of Language Science and Technology, scientists from the six renowned research centers on campus teach in the Data Science and Artificial Intelligence programme. Those experts conduct application-oriented research in the fields of Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Big Data and prepare you comprehensively for the challenges of the digital future.
- Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence
- Big Data
- Data Management
- Modeling und Simulation
- Data Visualization
- Mathematics und Statistics
- Computer Security
The master's programme comprises 120 CP:
- 18 CP core lectures in 'Data Science and Artificial Intelligence' (DSAI)
- 9 CP core lectures in 'Informatics'
- 27–31 CP core lectures, advanced lectures or seminars in DSAI
- 7 CP seminars in DSAI
- min. 17 CP electives
- 12 CP Master's module including the master's seminar
- 30 CP master's thesis
Requirements for application
- Bachelor's degree from a German university (at least 180 CP) or an equivalent qualification from a foreign university in computer science, informatics or a related field
- Advanced proficiency in English (level C1)
- Personal statement written by the applicant and two letters of recommendation written by referees who know the applicant academically to give evidence of the applicant's particular interest in the subject
- A level of knowledge and competence that corresponds to that acquired in the Bachelor's degree programme in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence at Saarland University. Specifically, this requires applicants to show that they have the necessary level of expertise in the following areas:
- Mathematics (discrete mathematics, real analysis and multivariable calculus, linear algebra, numerical methods, stochastics, statistics)
- Theoretical informatics (complexity theory, computability)
- Practical informatics (functional and object-oriented programming, data structures and algorithms, databases)
- Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Data Mining
For further information please read the application rules.
How to apply
Students can begin the M.Sc. programme at the beginning of the summer or winter semester. Applications should normally be received by 15 May for students seeking to begin studying in the winter semester and by 15 November for students looking to start their studies in summer. Applications should be submitted via the online application portal managed by the Department of Computer Science. Please also note the further information on application.
Accredited study programmes
Saarland University was one of the first universities in Germany to successfully complete the system accreditation procedure. Since 2012, it has carried the seal of the Accreditation Council.