Educational Technology (M.Sc.)
The interdisciplinary Master's degree programme in Educational Technology is the only one of its kind in Germany. It creates a unique link between educational science and computer science by combining the disciplines of educational methodology, informatics and psychology. Educational technology experts examine such questions as how school students in the classroom or "friends" in social networks are applying new technology to accumulate, transfer and use knowledge. They develop new technologies for use in educational institutions and in continuous and further education programmes and are involved in the design of innovative learning environments. The Master's programme is taught in English.
In addition to the core disciplines in learning science, design, research methods and programming, students can select course content from an extensive range of elective modules covering such areas as artificial intelligence or human-computer interaction. They can also complete a tutor training and an internship.
The Master's programme is designed as an attendance course and requires personal presence at Saarland University. As the modules and exams are in English, students must demonstrate proof of excellent command in English.
The master's programme comprises an overall of 120 credit points (CP) of compulsory and elective courses within the following modules:
- EduTech (14 CP)
- Learning with Media (12 CP)
- Design (12 CP)
- Methods I (5 to 15 CP, usually 10 CP)
- Master's thesis (31 CP)
- Methods II (10 CP)
- Knowledge Management and Communication (15 CP)
- Computer Science (31 CP)
- Tutor (8 CP)
- Internship (6 CP)
The compulsory area must be studied completely (usually 79 CP). For the elective area (in total 70 CP) different modules or single lectures can be studied, taking the corresponding admission requirements into account (at least 36 CP). A professional internship (max. 6 CP) as well as a semester abroad can complement the programme.
Graduates of the Master's programme in Educational Technology can choose a career in educational research or become developers of digital media. They can also work in an e-learning firm or as educational designers for specialized workplace computer courses, as creators of online educational materials or as advisors for educational institutions. An alumni study of 2018 shows that more than 90% of alumni find a job within the domain of educational technology in the first months after graduating. Almost a third of our alumni go on to do a PhD in the field.
Requirements for admission to the master's programme are:
1. A bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Programming, Engineering, Education, Pedagogy or Psychology. The final grade of the degree needs to be 3.0 or better (according to the German grading system). Provided that there are places available and that the applicant has an excellent final grade (1.5 or better), bachelor's degrees in related fields may be accepted. For the application, please submit your degree certificate along with a transcript of the courses you completed.
2. A letter of motivation. Please write one page focusing on these topics:
- Prior knowledge and experiences with research methods and/or programming
- Why do you want to study Educational Technology? What do you expect from this programme?
- Critically reflect on your prior experiences with using technologies for teaching and learning
3. Proof of English language skills of at least level B2 (CEFR)
In case that the required bachelor's degree cannot be proven at the time of the application (for example when you are about to complete the degree and you are waiting for the final certificate), you will have to give proof of the study progress so far (transcript of records with temporary grade) and that you are registered for all missing exams. This proof needs to be signed and stamped by the university's examination office. The final documents need to be handed in until the end of the first semester.
Further information and a FAQ can be found here: edutech.uni-saarland.de/edutechmaster
If you would like to apply, please complete the following steps:
- Register with the SIM applications portal.
- After registering, complete the online application form.
- Upload the required supporting documents as scans (PDF files) from within the online application form and then submit your application.
Please only submit your application online, do not send in paper application materials.
Wie Smartphone, Tablet & Co den Unterricht besser machen
Das Klassenzimmer soll digital werden. Smartboards sollen Tafel und Overhead-Folie ersetzen, Tablets Lernprozesse fördern. Aber wie nutzen Schüler die Technik wirklich sinnvoll? Wie setzen Lehrer sie mit System im Unterricht ein? Der Masterstudiengang Educational Technology an der Saar-Uni ist bundesweit eines der wenigen Studienangebote auf diesem Gebiet.
Accredited study programmes
Saarland University was one of the first universities in Germany to successfully complete the system accreditation procedure. Since 2012, it has carried the seal of the Accreditation Council.